Thursday, January 30, 2014

Falling in love with a piece

As a growing musician, I'm often required to play pieces that simply teach me something. Perhaps I'll learn to press into the string more using an étude full of luscious chords. Or, perhaps, I'll discover the practicality of certain fingerings for arpeggios. In fact, the last two pieces I have played were didactic in nature. And, while they taught me important concepts, I never really loved them.
But every once in a while, I find a piece that truly captures my attention. A piece that makes me rush to the harp as soon as I get home and makes me practice until my fingers blister, then callus, then blister again. And, though I don't find them often, finding one is like having my own little treasure...
Because there's nothing more exciting in music than truly falling in love with a piece.
One of the more recent pieces I have truly loved is Marcel Tournier's Étude de Concert: Au Matin, which I performed for the assembly yesterday. Between its sweeping romanticism and beautiful impressionism characteristic of Tournier (au matin translates to "the morning"), I always truly enjoy myself when I sit down to play it. And, unlike other songs past, it always seems to come back into my fingers without much work. That's the beauty of these pieces; you never forget them easily.
As of late, I've found my newest piece to cherish, Saint-Saens' Fantaisie for Solo Harp. It is, for lack of a better word, beautiful. Characteristic of a fantasy, it has alternating sections of nimble, rapid passages and slower, melodic passages. This is something I love about the piece; every section has its own tone, or character if you will, and I feel responsible for making each color come out in the music. Some are bold, some delicate. Some quick, some slow. But they're all equally beautiful (well, I'll admit I'm partial to a few).
It's pieces like this that remind me what I love about the harp. It's an instrument with the capability of making so many different sounds. People often see the harp as a strictly romantic instrument, but I believe it is so much more than that. I only hope that others will see the same.


Links: Score for Fantaisie for Solo Harp, Recording of Fantaisie for Solo Harp


1 comment:

  1. Sarah, your blog post gave me goose bumps! Your description of your relationship with music was simply inspiring.

    I am impressed with thoughtful consideration of your music experience. You clearly understand the processes and performances that you are working through. You seem to embody exactly what we hoped a program like yours could become. Congratulations!

    I am looking forward to your update during the next two weeks.

    ReplyDelete