Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Studio Recital and Orchestra Concert

This weekend is the studio recital for the students of my teacher, Dr. June Han. I'm excited not only because it will be the first time I've played these two pieces (Au Matin and Scherzetto) in front of an audience, but also because it will be good practice for my senior recital at the end of the year. Coincidentally, both of these recitals will be in the same hall, which will hopefully help me to get acclimated to the space.
Besides the studio recital, there's a lot going on in pre-college. In music theory, I've begun learning how to write three voice counterpoint, which is surprisingly difficult because now I've got to keep track of the rules of Species counterpoint for three voices, not just two. In ear training, we're working on singing and identifying triads and completing melodic dictations.
In addition, the concert for the Pre-College Orchestra (PCO) is next week, so I'll have to drive down to the city early Friday afternoon for the dress rehearsal. In addition to the piece I play in, Bruch's Scottish Fantasy, the orchestra is also playing Mozart's Overture to The Impresario, Barber's Essay No.1, and Brahms' Symphony No. 3 in F Major. Needless to say, PCO is busy with all of the fantastic material it has prepared.
I hope to keep you all updated regarding both the studio recital and the orchestra concert!

2 comments:

  1. You appear to be involved in a wonderful music program! I am impressed with your level of involvement and development of work.

    Thanks for the great details. I felt anxious just reading about your solos!

    Is that your harp in the blog background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is, indeed, my harp in the foreground! I took this photo at the harp factory the day I got it. Ah, the start of a beautiful partnership...

      Delete